Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sporting back in the elite

I have a post pending with my humble hommage to the return of my football team (Real Sporting de Gijon) to Spanish First Division... or "Spanish La Liga", as the guys at CNN funnily say. In the meantime, the managers are trying to make a proper team to survive in the competition and are preparing a pre-season set of friendly matches to start the engines of the team. From my vacational retirement in the Canary Islands, I proudly read that one of these matches will take place against AC Milan (one of my fave teams ever since the times of Gullit, VanBasten, Rijkaard, Costacurta, Massaro, ...). By the way, the only time both teams met was in UEFA cup, in 1988 if my memory does not betray me, and I was there. We won 1-0 although we (unfairly) lost 1-3 in the 2nd match. I hope that we win this upcoming game, although it's been long since then and the difference between the rich and the poor is greater. Anyway, it is time to dream of great matches against excellent teams in El Molinon. I wish I can go on dreaming like this for years. It would be the sign of Sporting settled in First Division.

No comments: