Sunday, June 24, 2007

Red and white pride

I did not have time to post about this when I read about it some days ago. The Centre for Sociological Research (Centro de Investigaciones Sociologicas -CIS-) revealed the preferences for us Spaniards in what regards to football teams. The news are not that 33.7% prefers Real Madrid or that 25.7% loves FC Barcelona. The fact is that my beloved Real Sporting de Gijón is the 15th in the list. The Spanish League (1st Division) is played by 20 teams and although we have been in 2nd division for almost 10 years, we are still in the heart of people. It seems that we are more loved and/or respected than 5 teams in 1st Division and more than any other team in Second Division.

Well, although the CIS is one of the most respected organizations in Spain in statistical studies, I do not believe very much in this kind of works anyway. And less if I do not know the procedure followed in the study. Statistics is a dangerous friend open to different interpretations and all the details of a statistical work must be known before you state something about it.

Anyway, I loved reading this. Oh, and by the way, I think that the real winner was Racing de Santander. This team was the 3rd one in the rank right after Madrid and Barcelona, with an 8%.

Finally, as I previously said, these works are easily open to different interpretations. I included Celta de Vigo and Real Sociedad, being above Sporting in the rank, among 1st Division teams. They both will play in 2nd Div. next season. On the other hand, Real Valladolid, Almería and Real Murcia (the three best teams in 2nd Div, playing next season in 1st Div) are in worse positions than Sporting.

I hope someday soon I'll be able to stop resigning myself with subjective opinions like these (no matter if the CIS claims this is science) and find my team in the "Liga de las Estrellas" at last.

No comments: